This is homemade all-purpose balm has a cream-to-oil formula and applies like a dream. Infused with 5 healing herbs including Chamomile, Calendula, Plantain, Chickweed and Comfrey, the balm is perfect for soothing dry irritated skin, diaper rashes and minor cuts. 100% natural and organic. No synthetics, preservatives, essential oil or fragrances added. It is safe for sensitive skin and babies.
- 1/2 cup organic Sunflower oil
- 1 tsp dried organic Chamomile flowers
- 1 tsp dried organic Calendula flowers
- 1 tsp dried organic Plantain leaves
- 1 tsp dried organic Comfrey leaves
- 1 tsp dried Chickweed leaves
- 2 tbsp Organic Beeswax
- Few drops of Vitamin E (d alpha tocopherol)
Phase I: Infuse oil
- Combine all the herbs and oil in a mason jar (or any heat proof glass jar)
- Place the jar in a pot with 1-1.5 inches of water
- Turn heat on low and let it sit for 2-3 hours
- Remove the jar from heat. You will notice oil turns yellow and develops strong herbal scent
- Drain the oil mixture with cheese clothes over a metal mesh drainer, hand squeeze the cheesecloth to get most of the infused oil out
Phase II: Mix Beeswax and infused oil
- Place Beeswax pellets in a glass measuring cup
- Place the measuring cup in a pot with 1 inch of water
- Turn heat on low till all the Beeswax melt (it can take 1-1.5 hour). You can microwave the beeswax for about 1 min if in hurry.
- Pour infused oil in the melted Beeswax. You will notice Beeswax started to solidify again. Let it continue to sit on heat till everything melts completely again (if you choose to use microwave in step 3, you will need to microwave it again for about 10 sec till everything melts again).
- Remove the mix from heat to cool down, add a few drops of Vitamin E oil and stir
Phase III: Create cream-to-oil texture
If you like a traditional solid balm texture, you can just pour the mix into a container you like then wait till everything solidifies and you are done. If you are interested in creating a creamy soft texture for easy application, keep following below steps:
- When the mix for Phase II start to solidify with some parts running, blend it with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes texture becomes smooth (think yogurt).
- Transfer the mixture into a container you like. Wait till it completely solidifies (about 30 minutes) and you are done!
* You can adjust the beeswax amount for your preferred texture
* When select Vitamin E oil make sure it is the natural kind (d alpha tocopherol) best derived from organic Non-GMO source
*Since this balm is intended for babies and sensitive skin, no fragrances or essential oil were added. You can add your favorite essential oil or herbal extract for additional benefit or scent.